Urology/Ache after ejaculating after a period of abstinence

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr Leslie,

I have gone for prolonged periods (1-2 months) without ejaculation and did not experience any pain or "blue balls". However, after ejaculating, I sometimes experience discomfort for 15 mins and up to an hour if I have not done so for about 1-2 weeks+.

I have read about prostatic congestion and it seems to be due to the prostate getting swollen and painful and relieved by ejaculation. But my discomfort only occurs after ejaculation. What could be the causes?

I'm 27 with no known STDs and this has gone on since I was younger, but it's been more noticeable recently as I've gotten too busy for sexual activity. Thank you.

ANSWER: Gerald:

The most common cause for your symptoms would be prostatitis.  This may have been aggravated by the prolonged abstinence.  Try some hot sitz baths daily and check with your local physician.

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply. I understand you might not be able to give a diagnosis but what types of prostatitis could manifest with these symptoms? And why would aching occur only after ejaculation?

Answer
Gerald:

It could be any type of prostatitis, but the most common would be chronic bacterial prostatitis or possibly CPPS.

The pain after ejaculation would reflect inflammation at the bladder neck area which tightens during ejaculation to prevent the semen from going backwards into the bladder.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD