Urology/Acute Prostatis (Healed?) or CPPS?

Thank you for your time.  I know your time is precious so I will try to be succinct, but thorough.  (I am a 35 year old male in good shape with no previous medical issues.)

History of Urological Issue:
*About 7 months ago I began having extreme achy pain behind my penis (at the base) and in my testis, essentially the whole pelvic area from the mid-line of the pelvis down to the scrotum.
*I went to my GP and he performed a DRE.  He assumed an inflamed prostate and prescribed a four week dose of Cypro.  (Result:  No alleviation in pain/symptoms.)
*I then saw a urologist who confirmed that he thought (no DRE) I had prostatitis and prescribed a 4-6 week combination dose of Bactrim, Meloxicam, and RapaFlo.  (Result:  About the 9th day of this medication I began feeling relief and pain began to subside.)
*At my father's suggestion, I saw another urologist a few days after urologist#1.  Urologist#2 said that he could not figure out exactly what it was so he just said I had CPPS and je believed that I will always be in pain and struggle.

I'm now about three months removed from extreme pain.  I do Yoga/stretching and watch my diet.  I still have some sensation (not much pain at all) in my pelvic region but normal marital functions have resumed and I can sit down/function with little to no pain most of the time.

What do you think?  Did I just have an extreme/acute case of prostatitis that is now cured (or close to cured)?  I would say that most days I operate on an optimal level.  On the days I do not, I feel fine for the most part and I operate on about a 9 on a 10-point scale.

Also, what should I expect in the coming months?  Will the extreme pain/prostatitis return if I'm not careful?

Thank you for your time.

I think you most likely had prostatitis.  It is now in remission although it could be "cured".  However, it can come back especially if you do something to exacerbate the prostate such as too much caffeine.  The prostatitis can return even if you do everything correctly.

For now, continue your medications, avoid caffeine and hot spices, try sitting in a hot tub if it begins to bother you and notify your physicians if it appears to be returning.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute