Urology/blood clot during erection

QUESTION: Hi, I had a problem since 2005 now ,I get large blood clot when I got an erection,I have done cystoscopy 5 times nothing found.I have done MRI scan 2 times again nothing found.when the blood clot , I can't passed urine. Help ,please.  

ANSWER: Jerome:

Sorry, but if the MRI and the cystoscopies are normal it wouild be very difficult to identify the source.  A transrectal ultrasound might be of some help.

QUESTION: Do you think it can be a weak blood vessel who is breaking down each time?If yes how long does it take to cure?

It is impossible to say if there is a "weak blood vessel" that keeps breaking down.  This would be quite unusual and unlikely.  Since we don't have a clear idea of where the blood is coming from or any obvious pathology, it is not possible to indicate a healing time. Sorry.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute