You are here:

Urology/Extreme Pain after ejaculation


My boyfriend and I just finished having sex and after an intense ejaculation, he immediately started experiencing pain that he described as equivalent to "Blue-Balls" (Vasocongestion). He says the pain reaches all the way to his lower stomach. It has only been about a half an hour, now, but the pain is so severe, I am concerned about what it could be? Should he go to the doctor even if the pain goes away?

**Note: He was wearing a rubber type -excuse the term, please- "Cock-Ring" durring sex and ejaculation, if that makes a difference....


As an online forum, we would never tell a patient NOT to go to an ER or see their physician.

For any unexplained and persistent pain, medical help should be sought.

He could just have reflux prostatitis which could be exacerbated by the "cock-ring".  This is one of the reasons we don't recommend such devices unless under physician supervision for a specific medical purpose.

He can try a hot sitz bath which sometimes helps with pelvic pain.  If it remains persistent and severe, then he should contact his physician or go to a local ER.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.