Urology/Sex drive has fallen off a cliff with Lyrica

Question
Hello,

I'm a 24-year-old man who started taking Lyrica 6 weeks ago for pain from (mild) cerebral palsy and anxiety. I started out on 75 mg 2x/day and went up to 150 mg 2x/day a week later. What started out as a slight decrease in my sex drive turned into losing most of my interest in sex and finding it very difficult to get an erection or orgasm within two weeks of being on the higher dose. Before Lyrica I had sex on average 10-12 times a week, in spite of higher stress levels. Now we're down to less than twice a week, and it's usually cut short because I get tired out struggling to keep up an erection in hopes I'll be able to orgasm.

I'm also on 40 mg of Vyvanse, and I take Reactine a couple times a week for allergies.

I intend to tell my doctor about this when I see him next (I'm in Quebec, Canada) but that's a month away. Any suggestions or insights you'd be able to offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Answer
Owen:

Loss of sexual interest is not listed as a potential side effect of Lyrica meaning that it may have occurred in no more than 1% of patients.  There are some anecdotal reports, but it would be considered a very rare side effect.

To find out. we usually stop the medication to see if the side effect disappears.  If so, we restart the medication to see if the side effect comes back. If this happens, then we attribute the side effect to the medicaion.  Talk to your physician as there isn't much you can do yourself and you should never stop medications like Lyrica without physician approval.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD