Is there anyway a guy should wash his penis after having unprotected intercourse? In the event that the partner was infected with something is there a way to sanitize to some degree afterwards?

James, it goes without saying that the best solution is to use protection when you have sex - especially with a new partner.  There is no magic formula better than thorough cleaning with a good amount of soap and water.  An antibacterial soap may provide a bit of extra protection.  At present, there is no substance that you can apply to the penis to ensure that you will not get a STD.  This is because there are at least 20 such potential infections one can get from unprotected sex and they are due to different organisms.  The following article may be of some interest to you.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS