You are here:

Urology/Lumps and dull ache


Hello I am in my 30s & clear of STDs. Several weeks ago I had a hard lump in the middle of my penile shaft. It was about the size of a grain of rice. The size of the lump decreased and its place is a "vein" that I have never felt before. All along my shaft I am starting to feel these veins. Is this normal? I am also feeling small "beads" along my main dorsal veins near the base where my penis meets my trunk. I was worried about these conditions as I am now paying attention to this area more since my initial lump. I am worried because too I have been experience a dull ache. Everything started about 8 weeks ago. I see a urologist in a few weeks & am not sure how to explain this as my penis looks normal. Thank you.

Daniel, as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is not possible for me to make an exact diagnosis or give recommendations over the internet because of the inability to take a more complete history and do a physical examination.  However, I shall try to help you.

What you are describing probably represents a thrombosis (clot) of a penile lymphatic vessel.   Lymphatics are tissue vessels that are present all over the body connecting lymph nodes.  It is a distinctly separate system from blood vessels (arteries and veins).  Rather than blood, they carry an opaque fluid called lymph.   Their function is to keep the tissues healthy by filtering out harmful substances (such as bacteria, viruses, tumor cells, etc.) and enhancing immunity.  Sometimes during sexual activity, the lymphatics get bruised resulting in subsequent clot formation.   One notices a firm, often finely beaded vessel under the skin of the penis that is mildly tender.  This is not a dangerous condition and the clot resolves on its own in a few weeks unless there is recurrent trauma to the area.  Therefore, sexual activity should be curtailed until healing has occurred. When you resume sex, use a good lubricant and try to avoid excessive trauma to the penis.   

It is a good idea to see a urologist so that a proper examination be made in order to provide a definitive diagnosis.  Ir would be very rare for this to any type of significant or serious medical condition.  Good luck!


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]