Urology/Masturbation Friction Bumps on Penis

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr. Leslie,

Over the past month plus I've noticed a ring of small flat bumps appear on my penis just below the head and above the shaft from masturbating. I have stopped for the past few weeks and they are still there. Would bacitracin or some other antiseptic get rid of them or should I continue to leave them for several weeks?

Thank you

ANSWER: Kezi:

I can't determine from your description what these bumps are.  They could be anything from fordyce spots (which are normal) to pores, allergies or something else.  If they bother you and are continuing, you may want to contact your physician just to be sure.

QUESTION: From everything I've read, I'm 95% sure they are friction bumps. Would a topical antiseptic get rid of them if they don't go away on their own?

Thank you

Answer
Kezi:

I wouldn't recommend putting anything on them without knowing exactly what they are. It is important to be very careful in using any creams or topical medications in that particular part of the body.  Further, there is little point in using a numbing medicine if there isn't any itching.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD