Urology/Penis Bruising

My boyfriend and I had intercourse yesterday and on thrusting hit me on an awkward angle. As soon as he pulled out, it had started to swell at the bottom but was still partly erect. We iced it and went to emergency. Bruising did not occur till 3-4 hours later. Saw a doctor, who said he was bruising. And the urologist who said it looked like bruising and a minor tear but was happy for him to go home. By then the swelling had reduced but there was bruising slightly around the base and on the underside. This was last night. This morning I had woken up to check on the bruising. And it had spread all along the shaft, just on the underside but also now around the tip and is a dark colour. Went back and saw the urologist who gave two options of healing itself or surgery. We were told if he was able to get an erection then we had less to worry about. So when he achieved an erection we could go home.

Is it normal for the bruising to spread and swell only very very slightly, the way a normal bruise would eg black eye. Or should we go back to emergency?

Right now. Swelling for the shaft has gone down. Still slight swelling but nothing bigger than 2.5cm diameter just where the new bruising is occuring. The bruising colour has spread and looks quite purple and blue. There is no pain and urination is completely normal.

It sounds like he was lucky.  It may only be a bad bruise and not a "fracture" which is a rupture of the covering of the erection bodies.  If this happens, it needs immediate surgery to repair.

You asked if it is normal for a bruise to spread.  Yes it is.  I can't tell you to go or not to go to the ER.  IF it appears to you to be progressing in an abnormal way, then there is little harm in going to the ER.  Just discoloration without redness, swelling or pain is not likely to be serious but that's not an absolute guarantee.  Use your own judgement about going to the ER.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute