Urology/Persistent burning in urethra for 4 months

Question
Hello. I'm a 30 year old male. In March of this year I had unprotected oral sex with a person who I found out later

had a sketchy background with drugs and unprotected sex. Two weeks later I went to Planned Parenthood and had STD

tests done for HIV, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. All came back negative.

About 3 weeks after the sexual encounter I started feeling a consistent burning in my urethra. It wasn't excruciating

but it was an annoyance that would persist throughout the entire day. Urinating wouldn't make it any better or worse

(however after the first time I would wake up and urinate in the morning it would sting afterwards), however

ejaculating would cause it to flare up sometimes (not every time).

It has been almost 4 months since it started and it still persists. Here's my medical journal of doctors and

treatments since it started:

April 22 - went to an urgent care. Doctor figured because of the timing it was likely Gonorrhea. Prescribed me

Phenazopyridine Hcl Tabs 200mg & Ciprofloxacin Tabs 500mg. Urine and blood were taken and both came back clean.

April 29 - went back to urgent care. They again took urine, blood and this time a urethra swab. All came back

negative.

May 2 - saw a Urologist who couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it could be hernia.

May 3 - saw a surgeon who ruled out hernia.

*By the middle of May it had went away but returned on July 1 and has continued since then.

July 5 - saw primary doctor who took a urine sample and it was negative. He recommended I see a Neurologist and get my

spine checked.

July 10 - saw a neurologist who recommended I go for an MRI.

July 11 - saw primary doctor again. He now thinks it is all in my head and recommended Cymbalta. Took another urine

test and it came back negative.

July 18 - have an MRI done on my spine.

August 1 - Saw a different Urologist. Prescribed Metronidazole 500mg (Flagyl) and said it is probably Nongonococcal

urethritis since everything else has been ruled out.
August 7 - go back to Neurologist who says MRI found nothing. He thinks it could be passing of kidney stone gravel

that injured the inside of my urethra.

Today, August 11, it still burns every day after finishing the Flagyl. The past few days it has sometimes felt a like

a sharp stabbing pain closer to the head of the penis. There hasn't been any discharge or sores.

Very frustrating!

Answer
luke:

You seem to have a resistant problem with the burning.  It is often very difficult to deal with sensations without specific problems.  You could have prostatitis which might account for some of the difficulty.  Meanwhile, consider a referral to a tertiary care or university center for another opinion.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD