Urology/Purple spot on head of penis

Question
Hello, my boyfriend recently developed a flat, kind of dark purplish small spot on the head of his penis in the past few days. Im assuming its a consequence of too much sexual stimulation/ friction? Hes never had anything like this before. Up close it looks like little burst blood vessels -- because I've had burst blood vessels in my toe for instance, after stubbing my foot against something, and it looked this purplish spot. So I was wondering if this all sounds OK and if it should go away soon? He said there is no pain or itching or anything like that, its just there, and we're the only sexual partners either of us have ever had.

Answer
I cannot determine the nature of the lesion on his penis just from your description, sorry.  But even if I could, we are not permitted to make diagnoses or start treatment.  He'll need to contact his local family physician.

I can, however, tell you that in general, most lesions on the penis are relatively benign and many go away by themselves.  On the other hand, it's hard to be sure which is why it's best to have a local physician check it.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD