Urology/Purple spot on head of penis

Hello, my boyfriend recently developed a flat, kind of dark purplish small spot on the head of his penis in the past few days. Im assuming its a consequence of too much sexual stimulation/ friction? Hes never had anything like this before. Up close it looks like little burst blood vessels -- because I've had burst blood vessels in my toe for instance, after stubbing my foot against something, and it looked this purplish spot. So I was wondering if this all sounds OK and if it should go away soon? He said there is no pain or itching or anything like that, its just there, and we're the only sexual partners either of us have ever had.

I cannot determine the nature of the lesion on his penis just from your description, sorry.  But even if I could, we are not permitted to make diagnoses or start treatment.  He'll need to contact his local family physician.

I can, however, tell you that in general, most lesions on the penis are relatively benign and many go away by themselves.  On the other hand, it's hard to be sure which is why it's best to have a local physician check it.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute