Urology/Testosterone

Question
Hi I am not sure if you will be able to answer my question or not. I have been having problems with my testosterone. It keeps declining. Last time I had it checked it was 280 my endocrinologist gave me androgel to use 1 pump on the left shoulder and one pump on the right shoulder. So that is a total of two pumps. I use this for over 3 month I go in Monday get my testosterone checked again and it was 138. So now he is scheduling me for shots once a week and also a MRI of the putitatutary. My question is why is it this low again after I use this medicine. Thanks.

Answer
Sean:

There is not enough information provided to answer your question.  The extra testosterone gel was not enough to get your levels up to normal but probably enough to shut down your own production so you were caught in the middle.  It doesn't just add to your natural level.

Checking the pituitary is reasonable, but normally we just check various other hormones like FSH, LH, Prolactin, etc. before starting supplemental testosterone.  Your endocrinologist will know what to do next. That's his specialty.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD