Urology/Acute stabbing penis pain

Question
I am a 57 year old male. I've developed an acute sharp stabbing penis pain. The pain appears at random intervals and generally lasts 5 - 10 seconds with an occasional burst lasting up to 30 seconds. The pain appears at random intervals, I can be sitting, walking, driving the car, anything at all. The pain is at the bottom of the penis, most often on the left hand side and is very localised. It can be that acute it will cause me to double over in pain. I do not have any unusual sensations when passing urine or with an erection. There does not appear to be any trauma around the area of the pain. The pain first started approx. 6 months ago and recurred at random intervals, sometimes 20 - 30 times a day, for approx. 1 month. I visited a urologist and have had my prostrate checked, the result came back all clear. I have also had ultrasound on my bladder, there was nothing unusual in the ultrasound.
Any ideas at all on what this could be?

Answer
Ian, as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is not possible for me to make an exact diagnosis or give recommendations over the internet because of the inability to take a more complete history and do a physical examination.  However, I shall try to help you.

Pain of this type either represents a local lesion or referred pain from a different area.  Local problems could include a partial tear of the suspensory ligament of the penis or early Peyronie's disease.  Some causes of referred discomfort would be  from a hernia, inflammatory bowel diseases, kidney stones or inflammation of the prostate gland, so called prostatitis.  

I suggest you see your urologist again.  If not satisfied, seek a second opinion.  Good luck.  

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.