Urology/Bladder Pacemaker

Question
Hi my Uroligist did a bunch of testing on me he did a urodynamics and a video urodynamics. From the conclusion he filled my bladder as full as he could. I could not pee the catheter out both times it was done. He even watched me I got so red in the face it looked like I was going to pop a blood vessel. So the Dr pulled me in a room and said that the bladder was not working anymore. I was on uraxatrol. It worked great no problems at all. Now they did lab work the uraxatrol raised my liver enzymes. So they said that they were high so they took me off of it and tried Rapaflo. That worked for 1-2 moths after that I had a hard time peeing. So my Uroligist sent me to a pelvic floor specialist he is the one that did the urodynamics. After the testing he said we have a few options. He said you can either keep doing what you are doing and bust a blood vessel in your eye or somewhere else. The next option was you can catheter every other day and see what that does. He said I know you did it for six months but you may need to do it again. The next option is we can put in a temporary bladder pacemaker. If it works we install the actual device and that is it. If not we take it out and their is no side affects from it. So I am going to try the pacemaker. My question is if it does work and I get the real device installed will I be able to play sports. I love soccer and I have not had a chance to ask him yet.  I have had 6 years of not being able to pee until this year with the uraxatrol. Now I am back where I started. I have been through lots of testing and a Uroligist was fight with a neurosurgeon because she to this day thinks that I have a teathered cord but she could not get anyone to believe her. She said she had 3 patients in NY that had it and 2 are fine now and one is paralized from it. She said that you could not see it on a cat scan. That is even what happened with the other 3 kids.

Answer
Sean, your question is not really my field of expertise but I will try to help you. However, it is imperative that you discuss your question regarding sports activity with your surgeon BEFORE surgery.

Until you are healed (6-8 weeks) you activities will be limited.  Thereafter,  activities such as swimming, running, dancing, sex, and road biking (as opposed to mountain biking) are generally permitted.  However sports activities that require sudden body movement and twisting, risk having the wire or stimulator break or migrate and are, therefore, contraindicated.  Soccer would fall into the latter category.    

Again, my recommendation is that you discuss this with your surgeon well before the planned surgery as he may feel differently .  Good luck.  

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.