Urology/Burning urethra and painful ejaculation

I am posting this for my husband.  He is 41 years old, and has had a burning sensation in his urethra for the past 10 years.  He has been worked up and nothing has been found.  The pain always happens at night when he is lying down (and periodically during the day).  He has been on Tramadol for the pain, but has never had a diagnosis.  Recently, he has had painful ejaculations - he describes it as "ejaculating glass shards".  There is no blood in his ejaculate.  He had a vasectomy 5 years ago, which made no difference (good or bad) to his symptoms.  He had testicular cancer 21 years ago.  He was referred to a neurologist because his family doctor thought it could be due to the nerves in that part of the body.  But he could not find a neurologist who would take him based on his symptoms.  Thanks in advance.

May be worth checking with a urologist.  Prostatitis is one possible cause of such a sensation, but it is unlikely to have been present for so long.  A neurology examination makes sense to me to at least see if there are any other obviouis losses or deficits elsewhere.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute