Urology/Burning urethra and painful ejaculation

Question
I am posting this for my husband.  He is 41 years old, and has had a burning sensation in his urethra for the past 10 years.  He has been worked up and nothing has been found.  The pain always happens at night when he is lying down (and periodically during the day).  He has been on Tramadol for the pain, but has never had a diagnosis.  Recently, he has had painful ejaculations - he describes it as "ejaculating glass shards".  There is no blood in his ejaculate.  He had a vasectomy 5 years ago, which made no difference (good or bad) to his symptoms.  He had testicular cancer 21 years ago.  He was referred to a neurologist because his family doctor thought it could be due to the nerves in that part of the body.  But he could not find a neurologist who would take him based on his symptoms.  Thanks in advance.

Answer
John:

May be worth checking with a urologist.  Prostatitis is one possible cause of such a sensation, but it is unlikely to have been present for so long.  A neurology examination makes sense to me to at least see if there are any other obviouis losses or deficits elsewhere.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD