Urology/Enlarged prostrate

Question
I am 79 years old. My prostrate is enlarged. It is 39 cc in size.
Symptoms of enlarged prostrate are there. Doctor prescribed Urimax -F. Kindly let me know:-
i) For how long I should take it?.
ii)Whether it has bad effect on Erectile function?
iii)Whether I need Urimax-F or some other mild medicine will be sufficient?
The doctor does not have a definite answer for these questions.Kindly guide me.

Answer
Chander:

Urimax F is a combination of tamsulosin (a flow enhancer that works by relaxing muscle tension in the prostate) and finasteride (which blocks the effect of testosterone on prostate cells resulting in a shrinking of the prostate).  This is a reasonable and appropriate therapy for prostate disorders causing urinary difficulties.  

You will need to take the medication for as long as you want the benefits from it.  Without the medication, the prostate will regrow and urination will become more difficult.

There is a possibility of erectile problems with the medication but the incidence is around 5%.  Most people have no trouble with it.  The tamsulosin part can interfere with ejaculation in a large percentage of men but this does not change the enjoyment part.

It's impossible to say from the limited information provided if this will be sufficient.  You may require a full dose of the tamsulosin (which is usually two tablets or 0.8 mg) and when even this fails, then surgery may be required.

You may want to consult a urologist to monitor progress or if things get worse despite the medication.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD