Urology/flow

Question
Stephen
I am 55. I find myself going to bathroom for number one and two more often lately.
My stream is weak and dribbles. There is also a feeling of slight tightness where my bladder would be. These symtoms are worse after consuming alcohol.
I did have a recent full checkup and my bladder was not enlarged, but I did have a bladder infection last year.
Is this just old age, or something to be concerned about?

Answer
Bud:

It may be related to age and the normal enlargement of the prostate that happens about then.  Talk to your regular physician or consult a urologist to look into this further for you.  Most likely, you may need a pill to treat the weak stream and prevent bladder deterioration in the future.  The fact that you had a bladder infection, which is uncommon in males, suggests a significant problem that should not be ignored.  We have several medications designed specifically to treat a weakened urinary stream and prevent bladder damage.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD