Urology/High FSH level

I had seeds, direct beam radiation, and hormone implant for 12 months to combat prostate cancer, Gleason 9.  During the hormone treatment I experienced night sweats and chills, sore breasts, and decreasing erections, bloody organisms, and loss of desire.  The treatments were 10 years ago.  Since then erections, organisms now without bloody discharge and desire have all gotten much worse.  For my last urology checkup my urologist ordered a gonadal workup.  My testosterone total was 476 ng/dl which was fine but FSH and LH were 19.7 mIU/mL and 8.9 mIU/mL with a Prolactin of 7.5 ng/mL and a T4 Total of 8.4 mcg/dL.  Is the high level of FSH causing my symptoms?  Can anything be done?

The FSH is not responsible for your symptoms.  It's only function is to stimulate production of sperm.  You have normal testosterone so that's not responsible for your ED, but your prostate cancer and radiation therapy might.

Since there is no direct cure for erection trouble, we usually rely on other forms of therapy for the ED such as penile injections, Viagra, MUSE, trimix, etc.  Talk to your urologist about which options are available to you.

I'm not sure why they bothered to check the testosterone level since it could not be treated with your underlying prostate cancer diagnosis.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute