Urology/hydroxyzine

Question
QUESTION: dr leslie,im a 79 year old male who has moderate kidney damage and slightly enlarged prostate.i take Flomax and my urine flow is good.about 3 times a w week I take total of 30mg of hydroxyzine for hives.would this doseage aggravate my kidneys or prostate>

ANSWER: Roger:

It is unlikely that the hydroxazine would have any negative effects on voiding or your kidneys, but if your kidney function is extremely bad you may have to adjust the dosage.  You can ask your nephrologist or medical doctor if any dose adjustment is needed.

QUESTION: in a pryor e-mail to me you stated elderly people who take Flomax,usually have no problems with Benadryl.the internet which is usually wrong said people over 65 who take Benadryl can get loss of cognitive like dementia?is it safe for me to take Benadryl 3 times a week.total 150 mg

Answer
Roger:

I was referring to possible effects on bladder and urinary function.  The issue of taking benadryl and possible cognitive effects should be discussed with your physician and pharmacist.  However, benadryl can increase the risk of urinary retention and has been linked with confusion in the elderly so there may be better solutions for you.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD