Urology/penis numbness

QUESTION: I had prostate surgery 7 years ago. I have to use pump in combination with livetra for erection  . It worked quite well until several months ago when it took longer and longer to come to a climax. For the past few months I have not been able to come to a climax no matter how I try or methods I use .Spouse has been very understanding but it is  very very frustrating

ANSWER: Robert:

There may not be much we can do.  After prostate surgery, there is often injury to nerves, blood vessels and tissues that cannot be totally repaired or healed.  Also, trying to restore a sensation is often extremely difficult to impossible.

In some cases, medications can cause interference with ejaculation and climax.  You should probably discuss this with your urologist to see if there is something that can be done.

QUESTION: Dr. Leslie,
  Thank you for the diagnosis.
 I would like to know if the nerves etc were damaged why have i been able to have a dry climax for years without any problem until a few months ago when it became  more difficult.Now i cannot have any dry climaxes??
 Thank you very much for any additional information.

A dry climax with no ejaculation is common after prostate surgery.  Why that has stopped is unclear although it may be due to medication interactions, scarring or other problems.  Unfortunately, there is often little that can be done to restore.  You should check with your urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute