Urology/pre cum

sir,does pre ejaculatory fluid per se contains sperm???will it cause pregnancy???

Velu,  pre-ejaculate ("precum") is a normal secretion of a mucous like material from the paired Cowper glands that empty into a man's proximal urethra.  The glands are analogous to the Bartholin glands located at vaginal introitus.  The discharge they produce is in response to sexual arousal & is distinctly different from ejaculation.   The amount of pre-ejaculate varies with each individual but will be greater if one has not been sexually stimulated for a while.   The function of a man's pre-ejaculate is to lubricate the urethra & to neutralize any residual acid urine. These actions allow the semen to be discharged more easily & improve sperm viability.  The Cowper glands gradually become smaller with age and the secretion, likewise, lessens over time.   Pre-ejaculate characteristically does not contain sperm although small amounts can sometimes leak into it.  Therefore, although the chance of pregnancy from contact with this fluid is quite small, it is theoretically possible.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS