Hi Dr Leslie,

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.  

For reasons unnecessary to explain here I started suffering with anxiety relating to my health about 6 months ago. An event triggered anxiety and ever since then my brain and body have been in a state of red alert!  I am dealing with that, but in the meantime i come across issues, that I am not even sure are issues.  

1)  Is it normal for a left testicle to be smaller than the right.  It also hangs lower which I understand is ok.  By smaller, I am not talkng grape vs orange, perhaps 10-15% smaller in width and length.  Visually I doubt you would notice too much, but in my heightened state of vigilence I am noticing everything!

2)  About 15 years ago when I was 20 I noticed a lump on my left testicle.  Went for an ultrasound and was told it was a simple cyst.  This hasnt grown at all since then as far as I can tell and sits merrily on the very top.  I does however ache slightly from time to time - not chronically, but is also occasionally tender to the touch.  I have always worked on the basis that this is normal and just wanted to check i was correct.

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

It is normal for one testicle to be slightly different in size than the other.  

Cysts in testicles can cause pain.  A repeat ultrasound might be helpful.  These cysts can be removed surgically if they bother you enough.  Check with your physician for further details.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute