I have these small vein/vessels that protrude right below the glans on the top side of the shaft.  They are more visible when erect.  They do not hurt and are very soft, almost like bubbles.  I read on another forum that this might be thrombosis of a vessel and wanted to confirm.  Also, I am uncircumcised and they are located right where my foreskin connects to the shaft and was wondering if that made them more visible or if being uncircumcised made me prone to thrombosis in this specific area.

I masturbate daily and was wondering if this is the cause or if I should see a doctor.

The prominent superficial veins are unlikely to be thrombosed and are probably just normal veins.  Even if they were thrombosed, the recommended treatment is to leave them alone.

If they are not red, sore or painful, then you can reasonably wait until your next scheduled checkup and have your physician double check.  If they seem to be getting worse or become painful, have them checked sooner.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute