Urology/Venous leak

Hi, I have had problems of getting and keeping an erection lately. I think these may have something to do with my quitting of ssrimeds, my prostatitis and anxiety. What seems to happen to me when I get an erection, is that, I get aroused for a little time and then I get an erection but almost immediately I get turned off and I'm not aroused anymore and that why I lose my erection.
Does this sound like venous leakage, because I have been under the impression that if you have venous leakage you will still lose your erection even if you are aroused?

A venous leak is a functional impairment not really related to desire.  During a normal erection, numerous small veins compress to keep blood in the penis to maintain an erection.  When this does not happen because of a vascular insufficiency, there can be a problem with the maintenance of an erection.  In your case, you are describing a premature loss of the erection, and this can be associated with a venous leak.  However, this can happen in the absence of a venous leak when there is a loss of desire.  It is NORMAL for the penile erection in a normal penis to subside when there is no longer desire.  Therefore, although it is possible that you have a venous leak, it is also possible that you do not.  A loss of arousal can be related to many reasons. You do not offer details of your experiences. However, in general, it can be a lack of interest in your partner, stressors (you mentioned anxiety), low testosterone, medical problems, etc.  I think your first step should be to see a doctor, have an overall assessment and physical, and seek evaluation and treatment for your anxiety.  I am really not sure why you lose desire, but I think you should try to figure this out with the help of your doctor.   Best of luck.  

Joel Gelman, M.D.

Urethral Stricture Disease, Peyronie's Disease and disorders of penile curvature, Erectile Dysfunction with a focus on penile implant surgery, Male Incontinence, Hypospadias

Dr. Gelman is a Board Certified Fellowship Trained expert in Male Reconstructive Urology and the Director of the Center for Reconstructive Urology in the Department of Urology at UC, Irvine Medical Center.

American Urologic Association Society of GU Reconstructive Surgeons (Board of Directors) International Sexual Medicine Society Western Section, Americal Urological Association

Journal of Urology Urology Journal of Endourology

Residency in Urology, UCLA, completed 1995 Fellowship in GU Reconstruction, Devine Center, completed 1997

The Center for Reconstructive Urology is a regional, national, and international Tertiary Referral Center for urethral stricture disease, penile curvature, erectile dysfunction, male incontinence, and other surgical disorders of the male urethra and penis. Patients have travelled from 24 different states and other countries to receive care at the Center for Reconstructive Urology. More information can be found at