Urology/heat pad on penis

i would like to know if using an electric heat pad on the penis
would cause nerve damage or any other internal damage to the penis
kind reards

ANSWER: Michael:

Using a heating pad on the penis is potentially quite dangerous.  Not only could you burn the skin, but you could easily affect the nerves and blood vessels inside.  Please don't do it.

QUESTION: i did,unfortunaly.
i did not burn the skin.
but now i cant get erect.
is the damage permanent?

ANSWER: Michael:

Impossible to determine how bad damage might be.  Most of the time, the erections do recover.  I suggest you consult with a local urologist.

QUESTION: dear sir
thank goodness my erections have returned.
quite a scare.
do you think i should go to a uro for a control?
will taking arginine help for faster healing or not worth it?
or even gingko bilbao .i have heard its good for blood flow.
or should i let nature contiue with the healing.
i am 46   in good health.
kind regards

No clear evidence that arginine will help, but it's also unlikely to hurt.

No evidence that gingko will help either.  If things are getting better on their own, better to leave it alone.

If recovery is complete, I see no urgent need to consult urology but remember that urological consults can take days or weeks to get.  Better to make an appointment and not need it than otherwise.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute