You are here:

Urology/Lichen Sclerosus


I'm a 48 year old male. I'm pretty certain I have LIchen Sclerosus. My main problem is that the fold of skin interferes with urination, so I have to sit down to avoid a mess. I keep reading that lotions can help. Have you found a good success rate with them? I have an appt with my urologist next week.


First, you may or may not have lichen sclerosus.  Usually, the best treatment is surgery if the affected skin can be successfully removed completely.  Other skin treatments are not generally as successful.  Lotions and creams typically use steroids which can create other problems and will not remove the areas already scarred.  If you are interested in such treatments, you may want to check with a dermatologist as well as urology.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.