Urology/Lichen Sclerosus

Question
I'm a 48 year old male. I'm pretty certain I have LIchen Sclerosus. My main problem is that the fold of skin interferes with urination, so I have to sit down to avoid a mess. I keep reading that lotions can help. Have you found a good success rate with them? I have an appt with my urologist next week.

Answer
Jeff:

First, you may or may not have lichen sclerosus.  Usually, the best treatment is surgery if the affected skin can be successfully removed completely.  Other skin treatments are not generally as successful.  Lotions and creams typically use steroids which can create other problems and will not remove the areas already scarred.  If you are interested in such treatments, you may want to check with a dermatologist as well as urology.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD