You are here:

Urology/masterbation and dribbling


I am a 20 years old guy, I had been masterbating for a while, but I later I noticed that after I started masterbating, I had a dribbling problem.  I stopped masterbating but the problem persisted, Is there any permanent treatment for my issue?.
Please note that I this is becoming a serious issue and please do not suggest that I return to masterbation. I am a Cypriot.

Tommy, I need to have more detail about what you mean by "dribbling" in order to give you a proper answer.  If you mean "dribbling just at the end of urination"  this is a common problem.   It is due to trapping of some urine in the urethra which then leaks out after one has finished urinating.  Minor leakage is common in most men.   It is usually due to an obstruction such as from a swollen prostate, a narrowing of the urethra (stricture) or a narrowing at the penile opening (meatus).  The most common causes are from a swollen prostate (either an inflammation, so called prostatitis or a benign enlargement of the prostate - BPH).  In my experience, another frequent cause is in those men who remove their penis through the unzippered fly, void and then put the penis back.  Often, the space is not adequate for total free flow as the lower (bottom) edge of the fly can actually push on the urethra causing urine to be trapped.  This phenomenon can be totally avoided by dropping your trousers and then urinating in the standing or sitting position.  Try the latter and if you are cured, no further evaluation is necessary.  If the dribbling persists but is mild, get in the habit of "stripping" or milking the urethra from just behind the scrotum forward a couple times after voiding and then pat dry.  If the problem persists or is more severe, you need to see a urologist in consultation. 

If by "dribbling" you mean that your entire urinary stream is very slow, that suggests either a weakness in the urinary bladder so that is is unable to generate sufficient force to propel the urine out or a narrowing in the urinary canal (urethra).  At age 20, the latter would be much more common.  If I had to venture a guess, the most common cause would be swelling of the prostate gland as your difficulty began after masturbation.    During sexual arousal the prostate gland & seminal vesicles manufacture fluid that account for the majority of the semen. The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that are also sensitive to sexual excitement.  Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2 % of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts.  These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra.  At the time of ejaculation, fluid is discharged from the prostate gland and ejaculatory ducts into the urethra (urinary canal) forming the semen.  The average semen volume is 2-6 cc.  With the inception of ejaculation, the bladder neck closes and the semen is forced forward out the urethra by contraction of the pelvic muscles.  

Swelling and/or inflammation of the prostate can occur from either too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation.  I suggest you consult with a urologist to determine what is going on with you.  I do not believe this will be a serious problem and the treatment is typically very successful.  First, however, the exact etiology of your dribbling needs to be determined.  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 All rights reserved.