Urology/prostate

Question
QUESTION: hi doctor.
my question is (is the prostate massage health). my age is 36 and many doctores tell me that i suffer from prostate infection but without any prove of bacterial infection and or any unclear testing.

ANSWER: Mahmoud:

You haven't asked a question.  Typically, a diagnosis of prostatitis is usually made from symptoms and the lack of any obvious alternative cause.  Usually a urine sample and a digital rectal exam are needed.  Prostatic massage is somewhat controversial.  Some feel that it helps with drainage of the prostatic ducts but others believe that blunt trauma to an inflammed and possibly infected organ does more harm than good.

Typical treatments for prostatitis include:

Avoid caffeine which irritates the prostate and bladder.
Hot sitz baths.  Sitting in a very hot tub for 10 minutes really seems to reduce pelvic pain, inflammation and discomfort.  We recommend twice or even three times a day for severe cases or flare-ups, but at least once a day for most prostatitis patients.
Avoid hot spices which tend to irritate the prostate.
Avoid sitting on hard surface; use an inflatable donut to spread the pressure away from the prostate.
Use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve) to help reduce discomfort and inflammation.
Antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.
Alpha blocker medications such as tamsulosin and alfuzosin will help relax muscle tension in the prostate.
Avoid high potassium foods that some people are sensitive to and which can be irritating.
Less alcohol and smoking.
Use quercetin which is a natural anti-inflammatory herbal supplement that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the prostate.

QUESTION: thank you for your response. i have two question for follow up
contain potassium like what?????
alpha blocker may have side effect, what is it and what is the lowest side effect and can we control it

Answer
Mahmoud:

You can easily look up high potassium foods on the internet, but some examples would be bananas, oranges, raisins, etc.

All medications can have side effects, but the newer alpha blockers have very few.  Temporary dizziness is the most common side effect from the first generation alpha blockers.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD