Urology/prostate cancer

Question
My dad, age 70, recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Gleason score of 8, PSA however 2.5.  He has been diligent about yearly checks and to my knowledge has never had PSA higher than about 5, I may be wrong.  Anyway, he has history of back problems, previous back surgeries, nerve damage and such and for the past 4 or 5 years has had hip pain off and on.  His urologist said that positive biopsies were mainly on one side of the prostate so we took that as good news, however I am worried to death about the hip pain.  He goes in a few days for PET scans and CT of abdomen and pelvis so we should know more then.  Does it sound as bad to you as it does in my head??

Thanks so much.
Kelly

Answer
Kelly:

The low PSA is a good prognostic sign, but gleason 8 disease can be aggressive.  CT and PET scans are helpful, but he should also get a bone scan.  Then we'll know.   If the cancer is already in the bones and contributing to his pain, then he obviously has a more limited prognosis.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD