Urology/prostate cancer

My dad, age 70, recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Gleason score of 8, PSA however 2.5.  He has been diligent about yearly checks and to my knowledge has never had PSA higher than about 5, I may be wrong.  Anyway, he has history of back problems, previous back surgeries, nerve damage and such and for the past 4 or 5 years has had hip pain off and on.  His urologist said that positive biopsies were mainly on one side of the prostate so we took that as good news, however I am worried to death about the hip pain.  He goes in a few days for PET scans and CT of abdomen and pelvis so we should know more then.  Does it sound as bad to you as it does in my head??

Thanks so much.

The low PSA is a good prognostic sign, but gleason 8 disease can be aggressive.  CT and PET scans are helpful, but he should also get a bone scan.  Then we'll know.   If the cancer is already in the bones and contributing to his pain, then he obviously has a more limited prognosis.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute