Urology/prostate cancer

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer in april 2011 (almost 3years) 3+3 , I am under active surveillance and my PSA is always under 0.9.
 My urologist advise me to stop active surveillance as my cancer is not agressive.
I am 59years old and would like your advise.

After my biopsy in april 2011; I had prostatitis which is still giving me hard pain mainly after sitting for long time.
Shall I stop surveillance by PSA and how to cure my prostatitis which is not bacterian as per my doctor.

At 59 years, I would not stop active surveillance. You can consider repeat biopsies less often, but keep track of the PSA or consider a definitive therapy at this point such as radiation or radical prostate surgery.

Prostatitis can be difficult to eradicate.

Typical Treatments for Prostatitis Include:

Avoid caffeine which irritates the prostate and bladder.
Hot sitz baths.  Sitting in a very hot tub for 10 minutes really seems to reduce pelvic pain, inflammation and discomfort.  We recommend twice or even three times a day for severe cases or flare-ups, but at least once a day for most prostatitis patients.
Avoid hot spices which tend to irritate the prostate.
Avoid sitting on hard surface; use an inflatable donut to spread the pressure away from the prostate.
Use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve) to help reduce discomfort and inflammation.
Antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.
Alpha blocker medications such as tamsulosin and alfuzosin will help relax muscle tension in the prostate.
Avoid high potassium foods that some people are sensitive to and which can be irritating.
Less alcohol and smoking.
Use quercetin which is a natural anti-inflammatory herbal supplement that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the prostate.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute