Urology/A question about penile doppler

Is it ok for the patient to stimulate his penis by hands after the injection and before performing the ultrasound? or can this give false/inaccurate results?

I ask this because while my brother was performing this ultrasound, the doctor left him alone for a few minutes after the injection and he found there is no erection so he decided to use his hands to help induce an erection.

He did not tell the doctor about what he did but the results were perfect except that the doctor evaluated the erectile response as being (E2).

So I'm wondering if the results were "false perfect" just because of the manual stimulation because my brother insists he is suffering severe erectile dysfunction despite the normal results revealed by the ultrasound.

Thanks in advance.

It's better not to do any stimulation.  The point of the test is to measure the extent of response to the injection and you may alter the results with self stimulation.  Also, you can cause bleeding and some pain possibly.

Having said that, the ultrasound doppler results showing good blood supply are almost certainly correct as the readings are quite reliable.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute