Urology/A question about penile doppler

Question
Is it ok for the patient to stimulate his penis by hands after the injection and before performing the ultrasound? or can this give false/inaccurate results?

I ask this because while my brother was performing this ultrasound, the doctor left him alone for a few minutes after the injection and he found there is no erection so he decided to use his hands to help induce an erection.

He did not tell the doctor about what he did but the results were perfect except that the doctor evaluated the erectile response as being (E2).

So I'm wondering if the results were "false perfect" just because of the manual stimulation because my brother insists he is suffering severe erectile dysfunction despite the normal results revealed by the ultrasound.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Ali:

It's better not to do any stimulation.  The point of the test is to measure the extent of response to the injection and you may alter the results with self stimulation.  Also, you can cause bleeding and some pain possibly.

Having said that, the ultrasound doppler results showing good blood supply are almost certainly correct as the readings are quite reliable.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD