Urology/trouble getting and maintaining erection

I am 67 and retired. Two weeks ago I was lifting weights at the gym and felt pain in my lower left back and left testicle and didn't give it much thought. A couple of days later i was having morning sex with my wife and found that i couldn't maintain an erection I had never experienced this before. Since then i have been unable to get a hard erection or maintain the partial ones I do get. I do a lot of biking and have noticed(over the pass year or two) that while biking i have experienced numbness in my penis and testicle. i am a little concerned and would like to know if this is something that will correct it's self or is it something that may require medical attention.

I doubt that lifting weights made much of a difference, but it is theoretically possible that this might have affected your sexual ability.  We know that bicycle riding does cause problems with the nerves to the penis and blood flow.

There is no way to predict if this will correct over time or not.  For now, avoid the bicycle riding and give it some time.  If the problem persists, contact your local physician or consult urology.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute