Urology/urine debris post stent insertion

it has been three weeks since a stent was placed in my left ureter.The doctor told me that he found this ureter to be quite tortuous but the stricture was navigated and the stent placed. I had been having increasing terrible pain in the left kidney area that was found to be thinned and a large pouch had formed above the stricture. I have had several arterial bypasses in the area--I have peripheral vascular disease affecting my left leg mostly. My question is what is this tiny black bits that come out in my urine. If they were blood clots I would expect them to dissolve in the toilet, but they don't. I can feel them when they are expelled. ????

I can't say for sure what the tiny black bits are, but tiny blood clots are most likely.  Blood clots will not dissolve in the toilet and you shouldn't be able to feel them when they pass. Notify your urologist that you are having a problem with the stent.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute