Urology/Blood in pee and semen when erection or heavy llifting

I am 42 years old male. For more than 15 years I've been experiencing blood in my pee and semen after I have an erection or I do heavy lifting. It is not all the time though. I also have discomfort and pain in the area. Firts time I pee is bright red, second time is clear, no blood. Couple of years ago I was referred to the specialist and had some tests done, ultrasound, cystoscopy, blood tests, etc, and they gave me the all clear for cancer. But I still having the condition. I am really frustrated and depressed as I don't know what I have or what to do?

Sometimes we just can't find the cause.  Most of the time, blood in the semen is pretty harmless, but blood in the urine is something we like to look into.  Even though you had a complete negative evaluation in the past, its been some time and you should again consult your urologist to determine if repeating the workup is warranted.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute