Urology/intermittent gross hematuria

Im male, late 20's.
I've noticed for a while that my urine stream is fairly weak compared to a year or so ago.
I also get intermittent gross hematuria (sometimes with clots) that can go away for 3 months+ and then return for a day and then go away for another 3 months....

I'm terrified of being told I have prostate cancer, as the symptoms of weak urine flow/urgency to go but not much urine coming out combined with hematuria would lead me to believe.

The first time it happened was a long time ago now.
I plan to call my GP tomorrow as it happened again a minute ago for the first time in a few months and i'm plucking up the courage.
I'm petrified of the cystoscopy.

I had my urine tested for an unrelted issue a while ago, and it was apparently 'clean' (even though this was only a day after i'd been urinating what looked like almost pure blood)
How can this be???!!

Is there anything else that could give me these symptoms that isn't so deadly/scary?!

Prostate cancer is exceedingly rare in your age group.  It is not unusual to have bleeding one day and clear urine the next.  Most of the time, intermittent hematuria such as you describe is quite benign, but it's best to check.  Talk to or consult a urologist to review your options.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute