dr leslie,I am 80 years old  with bph.I have been taking proscar and Flomax for 3 months now and my urinary flow is back to normal.i am still on medication for probably another 3 months.am I taking a chance trying remeron or should I stick with gabitril for sleep>gratefully yours howard

Flomax and proscar are appropriate for your prostate enlargement problem.  You should remain on the medication until your physician indicates its safe for you to stop.  Usually, we try stopping just the Flomax at 6-9 months but keep the proscar.  Sometimes this works, sometimes we have to resume the Flomax.

Remeron is indicate for major depression but has a side effect of drowsiness.  Gabitril is a medication indicate for seizures.  I therefore cannot give you an opinion about using these potent meds for sleep except that there are plenty of other medications you could use for a sleep disorder that are indicated and approved for that problem without using something designed for another medical disorder.  Please check with your regular family physician about this.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute