Urology/remeron

Question
dr leslie,I am 80 years old  with bph.I have been taking proscar and Flomax for 3 months now and my urinary flow is back to normal.i am still on medication for probably another 3 months.am I taking a chance trying remeron or should I stick with gabitril for sleep>gratefully yours howard

Answer
Howard:

Flomax and proscar are appropriate for your prostate enlargement problem.  You should remain on the medication until your physician indicates its safe for you to stop.  Usually, we try stopping just the Flomax at 6-9 months but keep the proscar.  Sometimes this works, sometimes we have to resume the Flomax.

Remeron is indicate for major depression but has a side effect of drowsiness.  Gabitril is a medication indicate for seizures.  I therefore cannot give you an opinion about using these potent meds for sleep except that there are plenty of other medications you could use for a sleep disorder that are indicated and approved for that problem without using something designed for another medical disorder.  Please check with your regular family physician about this.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD