Urology/Rubber Band Weak Errections Follow Up Question

Dr Leslie,

This question is a follow up to a question I asked a few weeks back about my use of a rubber band.

This problem has not cleared up yet (I'm unsure if I've had improvement) and I'm planning on seeing a urologist. However just reading from the other questions related to penis injuries here and around the web it doesn't seem like there's much help to be had on this even from a doctor. It seems like these are uncommon enough that we don't have a lot of info on them or how to treat them. This along with the clear embarrassing nature of the injury has caused a lot of distress as you can imagine. My first question is: is there risk in delaying seeing a urologist to give it more time to heal or should I be going ASAP? secondly what should I say to the urologist to make sure I get all the info across? Finally do you have any idea what kind of injury I could have sustained? I doubt you'll be able to answer the last one but I feel like I should try.

If the condition is severe and is not improving, see the urologist sooner.  If it seems to be improving on its own, it may not be that urgent.  Remember that it can take some time to get an appointment with a urology specialist.

As far as the nature of the injury, I'd just be guessing but the most likely injury would be to the blood vessels and/or nerves.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute