Urology/testicular pain and discomfort

I am a 24 year old healthy man, but for the past several months I have been experiencing a mild testicular pain in my right testicle that comes and goes. The worst part is that my testicle retracts into the abdomen whenever I workout with heavy weights, on very cold days, and when I have sex. I know these are times when the scrotum contracts naturally, but none of my testicles used to go inside my body like this. what is going on with me?

Drawing up of the testicle is due to contraction of the cremasteric muscle.  When the testicle is not firmly attached to the bottom of the scrotum, this can cause it to rise up when the cremasteric muscle contracts.  When it hits the internal ring of the inguinal canal, it gets stuck and this can cause pain.  This problem can be fixed surgically.  You should consult a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute