Urology/Urethra irritation?

Hi, I'm a 23 year old male. Ive had urinary tract problems for over 2 years now. A few minutes after I urinate I can feel my urethra, it feel like I have to void but the feeling is only in my urethra, not in my bladder, the feeling can last between 1-2 hours. I have had all tests done, scan, cystoscopy and sexual health check. I am currently taking antidepressants but they don't seem to help either. I abstain from caffeine, alcohol and acidic food but to no avail. My last trip to the urologist (during my cystoscopy) I was told there was nothing physically wrong with my urinary tract.

Since you've already seen a specialist and the usual tests have all been negative, it's almost impossible to come up with anything useful from here. But here are a few thoughts.

When nothing else works, try sitting in a hot tub.  Somethimes this helps relax tissues and reduce inflammation.

There is a product called "Prelief" that supposedly makes the urine less irritation.  Might be worth a try.

There is a saying that "Nobody should die without having at least one 10 day course of doxycycline."  This means that there are many unusual or oddball infections and most of them can be cured by doxycycline so it may be worth a try if you haven't tried it yet.

Finally, you can get a second opinion from a tertiary care medical center urology department.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute