Urology/Urethral burning

Question
Hello, my name is keziah, i'm a female. i'm not sure if you can answer my question but over the past 4 years i have been dealing with urethral burning, no other symptoms. My urethra is irritated the most during my period. I have been to plenty of doctors and my urine test and cultures always come back negative. I was finally referred to a urologist and they did an ultrasound on my bladder and kidneys and also a cystoscopy. Both the ultrasound and cystoscopy came back normal. I am at a loss for what it could be. I know it is not all in my head. Do you have any ideas of what else it could possibly be? Thank you in advance!

Answer
Keziah:

Nothing is harder to treat than a sensation when all the tests are negative.  So we get back to basics:

A trial of an antibiotic like doxycycline that covers a lot of "weird" infections.  Might help.

Use of "Prelief" which is a calcium supplement that tends to make the urine less irritating.

Low oxalate diet.  In some women, tiny calcium oxalate crystals can form in the lining of the urethra and cause pain/burning with all the tests negative.

Now discuss these possibilities with your physicians to see if any might be worth a try in your particular case.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD