Urology/bilateral varicocela

Question
hello ! i was recently diagnosed with severe oligoastenospermia, my sperm count was 0,4 million/ml , and percentage of progressivly motile spermatozoa 25%. i did a hormonal check which came back normal, my testicular ultrasound result was bilateral varicocela (2,5 mm dext and 3,3 mm sinister ) i am 37 ,  what chances do we have after varicocelectomi  with this numbers in my spermogram?
thank you

Answer
Brandon:

I would doubt that fixing the varicoceles would be sufficient to raise the count or motility sufficiently to produce normal sperm but it may be worth a try.  I would estimate the success of varicocele surgery in your case at about 20% but that's just a guess.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD