Urology/Blood discharge after erection

QUESTION: Hello Doctor

Some days back, I experienced blood discharge from my penis while having sex.  This was the first time I bled from penis. I am not a virgin, and I do not have sex frequently.

That day in between intercourse , I felt a pain and then blood started flowing. I felt pain because I inserted in wrong angle bluntly and then it hurt me. Because I had erection, I lost lots of blood.

I do not have pain/blood discharge/burning sensation while urinating. But just when I have arousal and erection, the blood starts flowing from urethra and goes on as long as I am erect.

For the time being, I have stopped any activity which will cause erection. Do you think that I should wait and watch  (assuming some vein was broken, and it will heal by itself) or do I require immediate medical attention?

Most likely you suffered some minor trauma to the penis, but you describe losing lots of blood which raises a concern.  You should probably check with a local urologist.

QUESTION: Thank you Dr Stephen..

I believe I lost lots of blood because I was already erect and aroused. So I believe I had lots of blood flowing through my organ. But this is just my guess.

Anyways, in case of minor trauma, does it heal on its own? How many days should I wait and watch?

During an erection, blood flow is actually very low.  The flow increases to get the erection, but then it comes almost to a standstill for maintaining the erection.

Minor trauma will typically heal in 10-14 days but that's just a general rule of thumb.  We don't know for sure what the nature or severity of the injury was.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute