Urology/Blood discharge after erection

Question
QUESTION: Hello Doctor

Some days back, I experienced blood discharge from my penis while having sex.  This was the first time I bled from penis. I am not a virgin, and I do not have sex frequently.

That day in between intercourse , I felt a pain and then blood started flowing. I felt pain because I inserted in wrong angle bluntly and then it hurt me. Because I had erection, I lost lots of blood.

I do not have pain/blood discharge/burning sensation while urinating. But just when I have arousal and erection, the blood starts flowing from urethra and goes on as long as I am erect.

For the time being, I have stopped any activity which will cause erection. Do you think that I should wait and watch  (assuming some vein was broken, and it will heal by itself) or do I require immediate medical attention?

Thanks

ANSWER: Max:

Most likely you suffered some minor trauma to the penis, but you describe losing lots of blood which raises a concern.  You should probably check with a local urologist.

QUESTION: Thank you Dr Stephen..

I believe I lost lots of blood because I was already erect and aroused. So I believe I had lots of blood flowing through my organ. But this is just my guess.

Anyways, in case of minor trauma, does it heal on its own? How many days should I wait and watch?

Thanks

Answer
Max:

During an erection, blood flow is actually very low.  The flow increases to get the erection, but then it comes almost to a standstill for maintaining the erection.

Minor trauma will typically heal in 10-14 days but that's just a general rule of thumb.  We don't know for sure what the nature or severity of the injury was.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD