Urology/hard painful swelling on shaft

I've recently developed a hard painful swelling about half way down the shaft of my penis. It's very painful. Yesterday 'it' presented itself as a small knot and has now progressed to a swollen area a bit larger than a quarter. I noticed it while urinating as a small bump which was not painful and it has progressed considerably overnight. I dismissed it at first, engaged in sexual intercourse, and now it REALLY hurts. It is almost balloon like in outwardly appearance. But feels like a knot on the inside. Considering going to the ER as it is Saturday. But not sure if it will go away on its own? Just keeps getting bigger and more painful.

Obviously I can't diagnose this on the Internet and I wouldn't be allowed to even if I could.  Anyway, something that hurts so much should probably be seen by a physician relatively soon.  See if you can get an emergency appointment with your personal physician or consult a urologist.  We often can give appointments for things like this quickly.  If not, then go to your local ER.  This sounds like an infection.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute