Urology/Hematuria

Question
I am a 54 yr old female who recently noticed a small amount of blood after urination when wiping.  I have also noticed some slight burning.  I did see my physician who did a UA and blood was present without leukocytes or nitrates.  The culture is not yet complete.  Is this a serious concern?

Answer
Liz:

While it's probably nothing, you may need to get a workup for hematuria (blood in the urine) which usually includes some type of kidney x-ray and a look into the bladder with a special scope (cystoscopy).  You may need to consult a urologist for this just to be absolutely sure there aren't any stones or tumors.  Most of the time, we don't find anything, but it's best to check anyway.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD