Urology/loss of need to urinate

Question
I am currently experiencing severe back pains from a suspected slipped disc. However I have noticed that I do not feel the need to urinate at all these last couple of days. Is this a side effect of my slipped disc? Should I go to the doctor?

Answer
Maria:

Loss of the sensation of the need to urinate is a new neurological finding and can be potentially harmful as it can damage or stretch the bladder.  It might also be an indication of some other problem involving the nerves or even diabetes.  You should contact your local physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD