Urology/lower right abdominal pain

Question
hi dr. leslie, my mom has lower right abdominal pain and we dont know what it is. we suspect its a kidney stone passing but she still has pain that comes and goes. she took antibiotics, probiotics and d-mannose for it but the pain still persists. she also had an ultrasound in that abdominal region but we are waiting for the results. what do you think it could be and how do we take care of it? thanks.

Answer
Christopher:

This could be anything from an ovarian cyst to appendix, constipation, diverticulitis, fallopian tube problem or a stone.  Can't tell from your description and ultrasound is usually not sufficient unless you get lucky.  Taking antibiotics without a diagnosis of infection can cause problems with yeast overgrowth and rapid resistance.  I suggest she see a general surgeon or a GI specialist to begin looking into the pain.  She may need a CT scan to get a better look at what may be her problem.  If there is blood in the urine, then the chances of a kidney stone are increased.  Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD