Urology/Penis pain

Question
For the last 2 years I am suffering from a pain on the penis. The pain generally appears some time (half an hour) after an ejaculation, and it can last for days. It appears commonly in the upper part of the penis, near the glans, most of the times on the right side, but sometimes it goes to the left side, and extends to the glans. It is sometimes like a burning, sometimes like a very cold sensation, sometimes tingling, sometimes like pulling a muscle. If I have an erection after the pain begins, it goes away, but when the penis is flaccid again, the pain comes again. One time I had this pain very strong (like burning) on the right down lateral side, again close to the glans. Could it be a nerve problem ? Sometimes the pain extends to the root of the penis, but always on only one side. I had epididimitis 3 years ago, and I took Ciprofloxacin 3 times, 20 days each time. One time they also detected Escheria Colli bactheria in my urine, but the last exam didn't show nothing. The penis looks ok in the outside, no red spot, nothing strange, but the pain is there. Sometimes after urinating, I feel a little pain, which stays for some minutes, but look, it is in the upper part of the penis, not in the uretra. Have you seen something similar before? Thanks for your help.

Answer
Leo:

The most common cause for this problem is prostatitis.  Check with your local physician or consult a urologist.  Meanwhile, here is a guide to prostatitis:

Typical Treatments for Prostatitis Include:
Avoid caffeine which irritates the prostate and bladder.
Hot sitz baths.  Sitting in a very hot tub for 10 minutes really seems to reduce pelvic pain, inflammation and discomfort.  We recommend twice or even three times a day for severe cases or flare-ups, but at least once a day for most prostatitis patients.
Avoid hot spices which tend to irritate the prostate.
Avoid sitting on hard surface; use an inflatable donut to spread the pressure away from the prostate.
Use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve) to help reduce discomfort and inflammation.
Antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.  Typically, at least 4-6 weeks minimum is required.
Alpha blocker medications such as tamsulosin and alfuzosin will help relax muscle tension in the prostate and improve urinary flow.
Avoid high potassium foods that some people are sensitive to and which can be irritating.
Less alcohol and smoking.
Use quercetin which is a natural anti-inflammatory herbal supplement that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the prostate.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD