Urology/pseudodyssynergia

Question
After visits and tests over the years, my urologist diagnosed me with pseudodyssynergia this summer, and I was referred for biofeedback, which I am scheduled to begin in a few weeks.  Meanwhile, I am having trouble falling asleep due to the consequent pelvic floor tension.  This is even with a benzodiazepine, from which I wish to eventually taper off, as it has lost effectiveness over the years.

What treatments are available for pseudodyssynergia, and where would I find the best programs?  Is there anything I can possibly do (such as clean intermittent catheterization before bedtime, or retrying the drink water and pee cycle) to possibly reduce the muscle tension so that I can void and sleep more easily?

Thanks.

Answer
john:

Dyssynergia and pseudodyssnergia can be difficult to treat.  Intermittent catheterization may have a role to play especially if the bladder is not emptying well.  Biofeedback is another tool that is helpful.  Diazepam is the traditional initial remedy.Sometimes, hot sitz baths can help relax muscle tissue.  We are beginning to use botox injections in selected patients, but you will need to check with a university urology medical center program to verify the diagnosis and get this type of treatment. In some cases, we use DDAVP or desmopressin to reduce urine production temporarily overnight to help with some of the nighttime symptoms. Good luck.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD