Urology/sperm granuloma?

Question
Dear Dr. Leslie!
My husband, end 40, suddenly noticed a pea sized lump on what seems to be the vas deferens.
He had a vasectomy 11 years ago and he is absolutely sure this might be "only" a benign granuloma with no consequences. But I felt that there is no disconnection of this "cord"?!
I think I found the lump on a cord of the back part of the scrotum not on the testicle.
He also feels slightly pain in the groin area from time to time.
What do you think, is this dangerous?
Is it possible to be fertile again through rekanalization of the vas - omg this would be a deasaster for us?
Many thanks and best regards,
Elisabeth

Answer
Elisabeth:

The location you describe would not be an unusual location for a sperm granuloma which typically are not on the testicle.  To be sure, he'll need to check with his regular physician or consult a urologist.

Recanalization of the vas more than 10 years after a vasectomy would be exceedingly rare and unusual.  If it would make you feel better, just ask your husband's doctor to order a sperm count.  If it's zero, you have nothing to worry about.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD