Urology/Symptoms of an Enlarged Prostate

QUESTION: Hi Stephen,

I feel I may have an enlarged prostate. I have no great signs of it, but my urine takes time to start flowing and at times there is a feeling of still having urine left in the bladder.

I read that enlarged prostate symptoms include pain while urinating, and even frequent urination in the night. I don't have these, but I do have a feeling of urine being left in the bladder. My erections are normal at times, but I feel they are not as strong as they used to be. I am 26 years (just turned last month).

My question is: Are there any foods that can actually reduce the enlarged prostate. I am hoping to prevent a bigger problem by good diet. I am a student and don't have the money for medical procedure. But I do have the money for the right food :-) I don't drink or smoke.

It would be a little unusual to see prostate enlargement symptoms in someone so young, but it's not impossible.  There are no foods that will help shrink an enlarged prostate.  What you really need is a consultation with a urologist to see if prostatitis or prostate enlargement is your actual problem and then offer some help, usually a pill.

QUESTION: Since you mentioned that it is unusual to see prostate enlargement symptoms in someone my age, what other reasons could there be for feeling like I have urine, but when I try to urinate, nothing flows. I sometimes feel the bladder being full keeps me from an erections. But I get 'morning wood'everyday and it stays for a few minutes too.

Other possible causes for your symptoms include prostatitis, urethritis, bladder neck constriction, bladder overactivity, detrusor instability, interstitial cystitis, urethral stricture, etc. and that's only a partial list.  That's why you should consult a urologist.  The fact that your erections appear to be unaffected is good, but doesn't help narrow down the diagnosis.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute